Monday, April 8, 2013

April Running....

Guam hosted it's first ever - International Marathon.

Two years ago - I wouldn't have been able to tell you what that means, but now I know.

It means that:  the course is measured by a qualified official and people competing in the race can qualify for other races that require qualifying times.  (*ie, the Boston Marathon).

The Guam International Marathon also had a 5K, 10K, half and full marathon.

Most races in Guam are $5 -$10 dollars.

This one was $70 - so I decided not to run it.

AND THEN.... about 10 days before the race, Mike won an entry.
It included a 2 night stay at the PIC -
I decided to run.

I did better than I thought I would and felt good afterwards.

And sitting in the hot tub at the hotel after running 13 miles wasn't too shabby either!







Running buddies:  Diane, Lisa, Me and Jenny

Just a little bit that the PIC has to offer.... 
In the water TUG of WAR.


They also have slides, and water polo, and archery, and putt-putt and more....

At night, they have a lu'au - 
it was pretty cool - (even from the room balcony)



except for the minor detail of getting up at 2:45am to run - when the drums are banging at 9pm.


I wasn't even a runner when I came to Guam - and now I have completed 3 half marathons.
and more 5K's than I can count....

400 runs and 1700 miles.  
It really is amazing what ANYONE can accomplish, if you just decide you are going to do it.


Next up -  my favorite race of the year.  The Perimeter Relay Race.
A team of 10 awesome ladies racing 48.6 miles around the south side of the island.
STAY TUNED!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment