Friday, August 20, 2010

The War in the Pacific

Other than our military friends that have been stationed in Guam - (*and maybe my history teacher brother)  I suspect that few Americans know what happened on the island of Guam during WWII.

One day after the attack on Pearl Harbor; December 7th, 1941 - bombing began on the island of Guam. 

Two days later, over 5000 Japanese landed on the island.


Greatly outnumbered, less than 500 American military surrendered.

The Japanese occupied the island for 2 1/2 years - and began to prepare for what they knew would eventually come -  the U.S. returning to reclaim the island.

On July 21st, 1944 - Americans landed on Asan beach.  

Isaac is crazy, fascinated with WWII history. 

This is Isaac standing on Asan beach where the Marines first came ashore. 

He was thrilled to be here. 

I, on the other hand, felt sick.

The markers, like the one shown below -


did not show a beautiful beach with crystal blue water and white sand.

As I looked around, I thought about 18 year old boys........

those whose moms had just got their prom and graduation pictures developed..........

those who now rode in a small boat toward this same shore........

and watched hundreds of men waiting,

to kill them.

I couldn't decide which would make me feel more afraid.  Riding up to the shore in a boat..........

or getting out of the boat and charging up the beach toward the jungle. 

Not knowing at all what was waiting in the growth.

I can't imagine meeting someone face to face that is considered the enemy......

but in reality, just a young kid himself.

I can't imagine pointing a gun and screaming directions in English - while having a gun pointed at me - and unknown words in Japanese being screamed back.


Isaac at the mouth of a cave
I just can't imagine it as a person.........


as a mother


as a wife


Military life is nothing like it was during WWII.

I am proud to be a Navy wife. 


     I am thankful for those who serve now. 

    I am grateful to those who served in the past.  
                                         
   And I don't have words for those who lost their husbands


                                             their sons....... 

                                             anything I can start to think.......

                                              sounds really lame.

   But standing on this beach helps me remember.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome post Melda! Makes everyone remember! (By the way this is Meg's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second what my mom said. And I'm loving that she is reading your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for being such a great role model for military mothers and wives everywhere!

    ReplyDelete