Saturday, March 24, 2012

Rice Night

On the first Wednesday night of Lent -
Mike had been thinking
and researching
and praying
about something to make an impact.

He started RICE NIGHT -

Every Wednesday night for dinner,
we have only rice.

Why rice?

Over 50% of the world depend on rice as their staple food.

In Asia, poor people spend at least 1/2 of their income on rice to survive.

Hunger affects the whole world.


On Rice Night - we read about a country in the book, "Window on the World"
and pray for the people of that country based on their needs outlined in the book.

Our goal is to help our children remember, weekly, that many people are hungry.

An added benefit is that it doesn't take long to prepare dinner,
(or clean it up) and we have time to talk about the country we read about.

Because rice is inexpensive (even for a family of seven)  we are saving money
on dinner - and we can use the money we save to give to others in need.

There are many variations on this idea that you could use in your family
or church group.   Please consider incorporating one of them into your life.

Here is another post with more information --->  click here.


For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat.
I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink.
I was sick and you looked after me.
I was in prison and you came to visit me.
Matthew 25:35-26

No comments:

Post a Comment